Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pest on Sweet Basil Only

Posted by nightnurse21 Caribbean (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 9:43

Found these on my sweet basil,this is the first time i've seen this any they only affect the basil but just the leaves what are they????

Unidentified Basil Pest 5 photo Image019_zps0a1ddf08.jpg

Unidentified Basil Pest 4 photo Image018_zps36675973.jpg

Unidentified Basil Pest 3 photo Image017_zps9b03a4b5.jpg

Unidentified Basil Pest 2 photo Image007_zps51f14170.jpg

Unidentified Basil Pest 1 photo Image006_zps5466e886.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pest on Sweet Basil Only

do you actually see a pest??? a bug???

looks mechanical or surface injury to me ...

i know you tried hard.. but not one is in focus ... and if you try again.. try anything other than a white background ... that might be part of the focus problem ...

how long have you had the plant????

ken

o

Hmmmmm, I'm not able to see the pictures. Can you try again?

o

I see them now. Please look up pictures of blotch leaf miner on basil to compare. Apparently, the blotch leaf miner has a real affinity for basil...questions and (good) images show up in the Herb Forum very frequently.

Let is know...one way or the other.

o

Tried 2 different pics,but it does look like blotch leaf miner

Basil Blotch leaf Miner photo Image002_zps0c785282.jpg

Basil Blotch leaf Miner photo Image001_zps33a682e8.jpg

Basil Blotch leaf Miner photo Image000_zps0919c127.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Blotch Leaf Miner Internet Pic

o

dont have any neem oil at the moment ,will a spray of insecticidal soap and oil work?

o

Nurse, nothing will un-do the damage already done. Leaf miners of any species are a challenge to control

First, the leaf blotch perpetuator is a very, very small fly who deposits her eggs into the leaf tissues of the chosen host plant. Then, she disappears. The little egg hatches inside the leaf...between the lower and upper epidermis layers of the leaf and the larvae proceeds to feast on the innards of the leaf...hence, the name leafminer. That little maggot will hang out inside the leaf until it pupates into a new adult and flies away to commit her own crimes.

Because the larvae is protected inside the leaf, contact pesticides such as insecticidal soaps are useless. And, because the adult fly is long gone, pesticides aren't helpful for them, either. Does that make sense?
For most plants, I'd recommend the removal of all the infested leaves...hopefully taking the newest generation away. It's more than a little disappointing, though, to have to snip off the leaves of basil!

So what's left? Neem oil. Neem acts as an anti-feedant, or in this case, a deterrent to egg laying.

o

oh come on..

its a $2 basil

throw it away.. and go buy another ...

are you really thinking about spending $10 on remedies.. for a $2 plant???

of course.. i am making up the numbers to make my point .... if you just bought it.. you brought the bug home.. get rid of that plant now .... maybe that is why its only this basil that is affected ...

if the brood hatches.. you may end up with bigger problems ....

your name implies you are nurse ... you ought to appreciate the prevention of the greater problem.. at the sacrifice of the lesser issue ....

ken

o

Umm... Ken?? you make me laugh,if u are not going to be helpful please do not reply,first of all I live in the caribbean and Basil costs way more than $2 infact its hard to find the plants out here as they are no garden centers only persons who make a small living by selling plants ant they are far and few to find,ok?As you would have read I had to idea what the pest was so THANK YOU RHIZO for your help it was really helpful,and I am already discarding the leaves,the plants were from seed and they are more than one plant,so please be helpful and stop acting like u dont work for every dollar anyway,whoever has been helpful,thanks and Ken I am not a nurse its just a "username" and nursing has nothing to do with plants???? u dont have to reply,thank you

o

i am sorry your feel that way.. please forgive me ..

good day

ken

o

Though Ken 'could ' (but won't) express himself with more finesse, he makes a valid point. In SOME cases, it makes good sense to discard a plant rather than to fight a battle with a bad pest problem. I've done it myself many times.

I'm more than a little protective about my basil plants myself, so I would fight this battle myself.....as long as I felt like a I was winning the war.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here