Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reusing potting soil

Posted by kentstar 5b, NE Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 10:28

I'd like to reuse some potting soil that I have in a large pot on my deck for some tomatoes. I can add some amendments to it before planting. The problem is...
the pot had a hybrid tea rose growing in it last year that had developed anthracnose disease (the rose was shovel pruned last year). The pot has sat out all winter through the freeze, snow, etc. Will the soil be ok to replant in? Or should I just dump it and make new? (the pot is a 18 inch diameter pot)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reusing potting soil

There isn't a simple answer to your question. I do believe that it's sometimes possible to rejuvenate a potting medium to extend its life. But, the medium has to be pretty darned sturdy in the first place. There are very few of those on the commercial market. Peat based media just don't cut it.

Ammendments should include such things as pine or fir bark fines, perlite, granite grit, etc. Stuff that creates porosity. Probably the most important elements in a productive potting medium are the pore spaces...voids. That's why most potting mixes just can't be reused ; they break down into tiny particles.

Now...all that being said....do you want to plant into disease contaminated soil? REALLY? Because it's still contaminated.

o

hey kent.. long time no see ...

they know its my favorite link ...

think dollar store turkey pan covered in alum foil.. giant jiffy pop ...

IF!!!! .. THEY TELL US THIS CAN BE ERADICATED BY HEAT..

i dont know.. and dont have time to google for you

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Eighteen inch pot for 'some tomatoes'? That's too small unless you are planting something like tiny tim or other miniature variety. Or were you just thinking of using the soil? If it were a flower I'd not be too bothered for re-using potting mix. There isn't much to peat-based mix other than a growing matrix. You have to add the nutrients, it's just something to hold roots. But, I don't plant or start tomatoes in anything other than santised pots and new planting mix. They are just too susceptable to disease and it's not worth the savings to lose them from innoculation from some pre-existing crud.

o

How deep is your 18 inch diameter pot?

There are a couple ailments roses and tomatoes can give to each other (tobacco mosaic virus comes to mind) so I'd be inclined not to share soil between them.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here