Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sruvolo425

Need help: sick cutting from my great grandfather's corn plant

sruvolo425
10 years ago

Howdy, y'all. I would greatly appreciate any info/advice on how I can bring this plant back from the bad place it's at right now. The pic on the left, behind my pooch, shows how the plant looked up to and including two years ago (the cutting was about five years old at that point); lush, healthy rows of leaves extending all the way to the base. The pic on the right is from today. Between then and now there has been a slow-yet-steady yellowing (followed by falling off) of the leaves, going from the bottom up. The plant continues to generate new rows of leaves from the top but the pace of new growth is slower than the pace of the bottom-up leaf death. The stalk is rock hard, similar to bamboo.
I've thought about simply doing another cutting from the top, from a point where the leaves are still 100% green, but there are only a few rows that look totally healthy. What I'd love to do is somehow restore the plant's health from top to bottom. As mentioned, this plant is a cutting -- one of several that are scattered throughout my family -- from the original, which also still exists and is healthy/huge, I'm told (I've never seen it in person). The original belonged to my great grandfather and is about 75 years old, so I'd really like to maintain this 'heirloom' cutting, one way or another. As you can see, it's near a good light source. We water it regularly. One person said that it may need to be moved to new soil (for nutrient reasons) but I first wanted to consult gardenweb before taking any actions. THANKS!

Comments (2)