Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surinam cherry leaf disease?

Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 10:53

surinam cherry problem

My three year old pitanga/surinam cherry has this all over its leaves and it's getting worse. We have had a very wet winter, but never freeze, or even frost. My searches tell me it may be Cercospora Eugeniae, a scale problem. Am I right, and what can I do about it? It has never blossomed or fruited yet and it's in a large clay urn-type container. I really don't want to lose this plant! Thanks for any help/advice.
Batya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surinam cherry leaf disease?

Cercospora is a fungus, not a scale.

Beyond that, extra wet seasons cause leaf spots. Perhaps you can temporarily protect it?

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 11:21

Scale or fungus, will it kill my pitanga? Is there something besides cutting it down to the nubs to heal it? Have I identified it correctly? Should I ask on the tropical fruit forum? Sorry about all the questions but Spring is on the way and it should be flowering time soon. Thanks for your help.
Batya

o

You asked "Is there something besides cutting it down to the nubs to heal it?"

Why would you want to do that? It only has a few leaf spots. It's likely a seasonal problem due to the weather.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 9:17

Meaning I should wait for the weather to dry up and the spots will disappear? The spots are here and there becoming holes in the leaves, and the whole plant is looking very diseased, top to bottom. Any suggestions of what it might be and how I can counteract it? Thanks.

o

The spots are permanent.

If the disease is made worse by the wet weather, you could try rigging overhead protection.

If you have a local agricultural agency or seller, I suggest you contact them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here