Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

yellow raised spots/bumps on tomatillo leaves

kuvaszlvr
12 years ago

Hi guys,

I've got some tomatillo plants that are developing yellow bumps on the leaves, I can't determine what they are, as you can see from the photo, they are bumps, not just yellow spots. some with dark centers. Any ideas>

Thanks.

Image link:

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

what i see.. is damage that happened at the expansion of those leaves when they were very tender .... and that could be sucking insects on the back.. or simply liquid on the top in hot sun ... magnifying glass effect ... what is interesting.. at the connection of the stem and the leaf.. there is no damage ... like it was shaded from sun ... were you misting them in sun???

also could happen if you sprayed it for bugs ...

but i see no damage on the newer leaves developing.. so i personally wouldn't worry about it ... and when i got another set of leaves ... the third set.. i would just remove the ugly ones ...

if it were bugs.. i dont understand why they went away gratuitously ... they tend to stick around as long as the host is there .... unless you sprayed them ...

always try to decide.. if the problem is gone.. before you go treating a PRIOR problem.. and create more problems ... that new set of leaves looks great ...

ken

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks ken. It wasn't until I stopped and thought. I'd been watering with a can,nozzle type, watering the soil. Last weekend husband brought home a sprinkler nozzle to attach to the hose. I used it for the first time last weekend, during the day (the plants are in the greenhouse, been there for a month now- no spraying at all, the only bugs I've seen are some fungus gnats, but not many). Thie spots showed up a couple of days ago. The plants were looking great until that point. I'll keep an eye on them and hope you are right... Thanks!
    Pam

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    12 years ago

Try looking up leaf gall, not sure the culprit but it's a direction to look.

Mark

• Mokinu
    9 years ago

I have tomatillos and other plants with similar symptoms. I think it's downy mildew.

• kimmq
    9 years ago
  • Mokinu
    9 years ago
    I'm aware this doesn't fit the classic description of downy mildew. However, downy mildew can cause yellow bumps on leaves, as well as brown spots and little flecks where the chlorophyll seems to be missing. It does affect a broad range of plants (not just tomatillos were affected). It doesn't start with a residue on the bottom of the leaves (that's in the advanced stage). It is airborn (which could explain how it spreads easily to other plants), and high humidity affects it. I've read something that leads me to believe there are probably several varieties of downy mildew, and they may not all look exactly the same. Downy mildew may not look exactly the same on every kind of plant, either. Tomatillos have thin leaves that curl easily, such that bumps might be circular instead of square. If it's not downy mildew, I still suppose it's mildew, but not powdery for sure.
  • Mokinu
    9 years ago
    Of course, I could be wrong about it being downy mildew, but I haven't seen anything that resembles it more closely.
  • Mokinu
    9 years ago
    I could let a plant get to the advanced stages of whatever this is to see what happens. The bumps can appear very fast, I noticed, today, after transplanting a pepper (one of the leaves developed bumps within a couple hours after transplanting, unless I somehow didn't notice that). I probably got the leaf wet during the transplant.
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I found other images of tomatillo with the same symptoms, coincidentally. It looks like galls to me, too.....perhaps from blister mites or eriophyid mites. BUT! I really think that this is a case of edema, caused by an imbalance of such environmental factors as moisture levels in the potting mix, humidity, temperature, air circulation, and temperature.

Fungus gnats may indicate (not always) an excessively moist potting mix....hint, hint. (edema clue)