Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Various forms of leaf damage - Help!

Posted by horst_albert Minnesota (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 11:44

I'm new to indoor gardening and have a small variety of plants, including an anthurium, prayer plant, philodendron, a couple varieties of croton, etc. I have been noticing damage to leaves but can't seem to find a culprit.

1. There are brown slits on leaves on various plants (anthurium (pictured), philodendron (pictured), and also on the prayer plant now (not pictured)). Some of the brown slits are small, but you'll see on the anthurium, the damage to the leaf was quite extensive. (This was one of the smaller leaves on the plant.)

2. There are small brown stipple-like dots on the philodendron (pictured) and also the prayer plant (not pictured).

3. Little chunks that look like they were eaten out of the philodendron leaves (pictured).

Any idea what might be causing this? Thrips? Spider mites? There are no other signs of either. I've cut off the buds on the anthurium and disposed of a dozen leaves from the philodendron for good measure, but I don't seem to have thwarted it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Various forms of leaf damage - Help!

the last looks like spray damage ...

the others look mechanical ...

when you bring new plants home.. you have no idea.. what they went thru .... to get to you ... including you getting them to your house ...

frankly.. i see nothing to worry about ...

you said: I've cut off the buds on the anthurium and disposed of a dozen leaves from the philodendron for good measure

i hope you did not cut off buds.. they are the future.. and unfortunately.. since they are already gone.. we cant tell you if anything was wrong with them ...

one thing i am wondering about.. being so new to it all .... is how you got them home in winter.. in MN ...

ken

o
RE: Various forms of leaf damage - Help!

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

I typed a similar though less punctuated response the other day but it's not here. If you are rough with the leaves, they can crease. In a few days, there will be a brown line at the crease.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 15:08

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here