Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green stink bug

Posted by leacattan none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 12:23

How did a big 1/4" green stink bug get into my house plant in the middle of winter? what should I be looking for to protect my house plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green stink bug

You mean 1'', don't you? Anyhoo, stinkbugs and other 6,8, and zillion legged creatures find their way into our homes fairly frequently. Some are looking for a place to overwinter; others are looking for moisture and snacks. Some get in by accident...like the Japanese beetle that came in on the back of my husband's T-shirt last summer. We've both brought in lightning bugs by accident after sitting on the back patio for the evening.

Since you mention ONE stink bug, I'd not worry about it for a millisecond. Flush it when you catch it.

o
RE: Green stink bug

How, or why, depends on many things starting with where you are. Up here we have had numerous encounters with Box Elder Bugs and the Asian Lady Beetles because they find shelter in the out side walls of the house and migrate inward during warmer winter days. Very few of these overwintering insects eat, or drink, much of anything.
Adult Stink Bugs are known to overwinter in many areas of the country, usually outside under garden debris. I would not find it inconcievable that some, on warm winter days, would become active and move around, or that some might have found a way inside your house like the Box Elder and Lady Beetles do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here