Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify the Pest - Indoor Plant

Posted by jmcnyc 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 13:06

Need help identifying this pest/disease. This is an indoor plant. Has been indoors for a year and just started seeing these white spots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify the Pest - Indoor Plant

Scale insects

o

if its the oldest.. failing branches.. perhaps time for pruning them out ... which might remove a vast majority of the problem..

kinda guessing ... as focus would really make a difference ... in helping you ...

i would use a systemic soil product... and i would have done so in late august.. early september.. while the plant was still outdoors... as a PREVENTATIVE ...

i dont mind treating one plant indoors in winter.. others probably would like the smell ... i would consider the exposure insignificant.. other would not ...

ken

o

The image is very fuzzy on my monitor. The offending pests look as if they have a soft, cottony appearance. I'd have said mealybugs. Tell me this, if you press one of the lesions between your fingers, does it have a soft, fuzzy feel like cotton candy and does it squish and produce a dark fluid? If so, then mealybugs, if not prolly as Jean suggested and scale.

o

An alternative to a systemic insecticide is to remove the mealybug insects by washing the leaves with a sponge. Use a quart of water with 1 drop of liquid dish detergent.

o

as i said.. i cant focus on the picture..

if its scale.. i would go systemic ..

if it soft bodied ... i would prune up the older branches.. put it in the shower.. and blast it good with the showerhead ... and wash off any that stick on ...

and if in two weeks.. they were still there.. i would get a lightweight pyrethrum spray.. put it back in the shower.. spray it down.. put on the fan.. and leave it there for the rest of the day ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here