Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solarhaphaeriom

Spots and holes in philo

Solarhaphaeriom
10 years ago

Hi there,
I'm a very inexperienced gardener who just moved to CA and have decided that a home full of plants is possible and in fact compulsory.
A month ago I purchased a medium (~2 ft dia.) Congo Rojo philodendron from a garden center. It was not in terrific shape: four big leaves and two shoots, with a chunk missing from one leaf and brown tips on one or two. I didn't examine it very closely, thinking that I could probably nurse it back.
It has been been sitting (in the original pot) on from of my freezer, underneath a large skylight but otherwise without windows. The skylight is on the northern half of the house, so I doubt direct sun gets in. I water it when soil is no longer moist, about once a week. Haven't done anything else.
I've recently noticed (I think) an increasing number of brown spots and areas. I've read up and think it could be either sunburn or a bacterial infection, but because it's quite different for each leaf (and I'm inexperienced) I'm a bit confused.

The photos below are not great, as I'm never home during the day. If they're not good enough I will get a camera and some lighting.

One leaf has some scruffage, at least part of which was there when I bought it, and the tip is yellow/browning.

Another has a chunk missing from when I bought it, and the tip is browning. It also has a couple of inch-sized red spots, dark brown in the middle.

The third has a great number of small light brown spots, some of which make holes through the leaf. The leaf is also a bit floppy.

The final leaf is fine.

So yeah, I'm confused. I have another congo rojo from a different source that's in a darker room. No problems, but also haven't had it as long. Any help would be much appreciated.

First leaf:

This post was edited by Solarhaphaeriom on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 14:59

Comments (5)