Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
name? and deficiency?

Posted by marko204 none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 16:09

Hello, thank you for taking the time to address my post. Does anyone know why this plant is showing signs of brown dead spots on leaves and the leaves generally have a curled downward shape to them( not sure if you can see that in pic or not) , I also do not know the name of it and hence its requirements. can someone help out? thank you !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: name? and deficiency?

That's a Zebra Plant (Aphelandra squarrosa). That type of leaf necrosis usually starts at a point of mechanical damage, or where the leaf touches the soil at some time.

o

Is this outside or inside, Marko?
The blooms indicate it's getting good light...but how often are you watering it?

This being one of my favorites, I think it suits my personality because unlike other plants, it really thrives on being pampered just a little bit every single day. And I mean with water. I keep it in a bright room away from direct light and I water a little bit every other day vs. big time watering after it dries out. Doing this with other plants would drown them (and i speak from experience, haha) but this one seems to enjoy it. The idea is to keep the soil moist evenly throughout but never getting it really wet -- or dry at all.

But I just read today on this forum that this plant is difficult, so perhaps mine is unusual or saving up its grief to release later.

But the photo looks like it may be outdoors -- which should be too much for it in most US zones at this time of year, temperature wise and humidity also.

o

its indoors... I will try watering it like you say

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here