Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

At wits end, can ANYONE..help? Armillaria

greyandamy
12 years ago

When it rains, it pours.

Seems Armillaria is in most of my garden soil, all gardens. Yes, it's possible... I can't be 100% sure where all it is, I can tell you I've lost over $1000 of trees/shrubs, or will lose, when energy to remove/deal.

I called County ext. office today, was referred to master gardeners phone where I was to leave message. They'll return in a week or less... my cry, "I'm losing everything".

I was told possibly a test could be done for this, the lady didn't know, and given a number for ANALYTIC TESTING which I didn't have energy to call.

I read for 3 days all I could find on interet about this. I printed out, printed out photos, and am now... overwhelmed... so much dead... or getting there. No money, honestly, for any major thing... ie remove all sources, replace with disease free soil (how deep, so much).... Physical barrier 18: below my seperate... but the ground when the garden isn't is so compacted and horrible clay, and I can't dig...this soil I worked on for 6 years since I've been here.

The garden was so closely packed in spots with plants at one time that roots had to touch, or eventually spread in soil...

What do I do with the plants in ground I read are very susceptible to it that are in that area (I can't lose any more!...i.e chamaecyparis and so much else).

I researched things resistant, but resistant doesn't mean won't get.. and that would mean moving everything...

I don't know where to begin, gardening and my dog has been..literally..my life mostly for past 5 years as I've been homebound. Does any, please, have any suggestions? Advice? ANYTHING??

Amy

Comments (12)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Need specific details of which plant doing what. Also need pictures.

Start with the damage that made you decide it's armillaria.

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

greyandamy, OK! Take a deep breath and and stop...reading (just joking). Paste these words on the 'Google' search bar -armillaria on chamaecyparis lawsoniana - and one of the sites will show many images of the condition. Does any of them look like something in your gardens?
    If 'yes' then your plants mightsize> be suffering for the condition. The symptoms are similar to other conditions
    Follow this Link and you will see what I mean.
    The "Master Gardener" may have been a Volunteer. Volunteers help the Extension Service to provide the invaluable assistance to you and me in these times of cutbacks and downsizing. Ask (very tactfully, of course) to speak to a Horticultural Agent. Explain to her/him why you think you have Armillaria on your property. (S)he will probably recommend a soil test which can be expensive. But you will have an answer to your plant problem - one way or another.

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean, will return later for more detail, fighting exhaustioin. Quickly, all pines, spruces.... by now severe resin, gummy/liquid, when pulled up bark may be white, some were very spongy at base and soft, roots (not all removed covered in white fungus, MUSHROOM SMELL...following slow dieback, yellowing needles, etc

Some ornamental trees- dark black rings around trunk (amazing, gross) or in bark itself, bark's black, some showing stress... vertical cracks at root collar, some I see the stupid black stringy stuff in soil, or the white under bark at base... of those in decline..

Conditions, house bought, 2 stumps buried shallowly, one maple, one oak.... 6 years ago....
    Neighbors huge oak cut down, stumps everywhere, roots all through yards, dito with maple behind me... tree adjacent to me horribly diseased.. I have dogwood and spruce with same, can't afford to cut down at present...
    construction work in past with heavy bricks, root damage, soil compaction, piling on weight...I recall weird mushrooms everywhere last fall (?) that look like photos BUT I can't recall vividly

Ronalawn, Yep, I saw photos, yes...

Gotta go, amy

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Armillaria is indigenous to most areas of the USA, so erradication may not be feasable. Most all plants that succomb to this fungus are stressed by other causes. There some very strong chemicals that might help control it, but most all I see says to keep the plants healthy. If you've not seen the link below it may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Armillaria

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Eradication of armillaria isn't possible. What one does is plant things with some tolerance or resistance. So get a grip and start thinking in another direction.

Sounds like the trees have had a bad time with whatever it is. The construction damage and piled soil certainly didn't help.

Although it's truly disappointing to lose trees from whatever cause, you can also start thinking positively. What can you plant if it is armillaria? Well, begin by reading this doc from Washington State University for some ideas: http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1776/eb1776.html

Here is a link that might be useful: shoestring rot and some tolerant plants

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

house bought, 2 stumps buried shallowly

===>>> are you qualified to ID the multitude of fungi associated with the rotting stumps and their associated roots ....

when i stump trees.. i have 5 years of the most spectacular mushrooms ... and it means nothing to the rest of the garden ...

amy .. this is something like the 4th plague of the plant kingdoms .. that you have found in your yard.. in the last week or two ... i am starting to wonder how one yard.. can suffered from so such ...

you have found severe scale infestation on multiple species of plants .... Cytospora canker ... fireblight ...

i just hesitate to wonder .. that if you posted some pix .. we might not be able to help you better .. rather than rely on your ID ...

and you may be absolutely correct.. its just the odds and magnitude ... of all these different problems seems to bother me ...

ken

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Ditto!

• IpmMan
    12 years ago

Ditto here too. I think you may be worrying too much.
    I wonder if you are listening to people who might have something to sell?
    Make good use of your Local extension service and you might find some of your worries are over blown.

• strobiculate
    12 years ago

if you are at the point where you suspect armillaria, it's time to seek outside help. Begin with the diagnostics available through extension; if not offered where you live, pursue a diagnosis through local tree care/plant health companies. Verify the diagnosis first. If your fall season was like mine, you had fungus amongus aplenty. I saw more insects and shrooms after labor that I had never seen before...and I've spent my entire life outdoors in on capacity or another.

I'd also look to the local garden centers for assistance, and I say that knowing what the people who frequent these forums think of that option. Perhaps one day we'll get into that.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

strobiculate, I don't think I know of anyone here who objects to taking questions, insects or leaf examples to a full service nursery where there are trained personnel, often willing to research the problem presented to them. Issue being, often times new or unfamiliar gardeners will assume any place that sells plants is a nursery and try taking questions to a box store or seasonal hardware store, where they can receive some very bad advice regarding pesticides/insecticides from staff/sales clerks inexperienced in gardening or sound gardening practices themselves.

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks everyone, lets let it drop... its too much for me right now... thanks for comments...

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Amy, that may be a good idea. Let it go for now, put it out of your mind, come back when you are feeling a little better and maybe we can offer some help. It's early in the year, most places soils are still cold and not workable...not a 'today' type emergency.