Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Termites eatting my fig tree...What to do???

Posted by socalgardengal 10/24 SoCal (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 17:44

Ugh... I was out weeding and noticed a part of my fig tree had some termite poop hanging in a spiderweb. So I went to inspect it and when I touched the spot, it just crumbled and alot more poop came with it. How do I stop them??Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Termites eatting my fig tree...What to do???

If the material is produced by termites, they're in a dead part of the tree. They don't eat live plants.

Photos could help us confirm your suspicions.

o

I can't post a photo. Don't have internet. I use my phone and GW doesn't allow photos from my phone. I could take a photo in the morning and email a picture to someone. It doesn't seem like dead wood. It's on one of the main branches and it's growing new buds on the tips of all the other smaller branches. It is odd.

o

Highly unlikely that your fig tree is infested with termites, ants probably and possibly one or more of many other pests. Have you talked with the people at your Univesity of California Cooperative Extension Service abot possible insect pests?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig IPM guide

o

Thank you kimmsr! I read everything on the link you posted and it's Carpenter worms! They burrow in the wood and the pic it showed was exactly how mine looks like. But I will ask extension just to confirm. Hopefully mystery solved! Thanks again so much!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here