Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddie09_gw

Aliette Fungicide

Maddie09
12 years ago

Does anyone know where Aliette fungicide can be purchased? I have English Ivy that was recently diagnosed by the Texas Plant Disease Diagnostic Laboratory as having Phytophthora and Aliette was recommended. I asked where this fungicide could be purchased and they suggested I check with the local nurseries, feed stores, lawn care services, etc. I did and no one carries it. I found a couple of places online that sell it, but I wasn't sure how reputable they might be and the price was quite expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Yes, it' costly. And in many places, it's not available to home gardeners. So that may be why you can't locate a source.

From what I've learned, Aliette is used by large scale growers to protect their plants. But once the ivy, etc., is in the ground, recommended management id to remove the dieing plant(s) and re-place with a different kind of plant that's tolerant.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

The Diagnostic Lab recommended that particular chemical because their primary customers are probably professional growers. Unless you fit into that category, you don't want to handle this product.

Call your local extension service for assistance and recommendations.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

This is probably a Restricted Use Pesticide which can only be sold to licensed Pesticide Applicators.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

why would a 'fungicide' be a restricted 'pesticide'????

now that doesnt make any sense.. lol ...

but RESTRICTED USE surely does ... and that means excess protection is requisite .. either for you.. or the environment ...

i just dont understand why you keep a plant that has this kind of hardcore problem ... there are so many choices in the plant kingdom.. that i simply refuse to bother with things that cant make it.. short of chemicals ...

ken

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

Maddie09, there is a variant of the disease called 'aerial Phytophtora - so called because it attacks the top parts of the plant. Read the saga of periwinkles and aerial Phytophtora HERE. If it is not aerial Phytophtora, then check with your local Extension Service.
    The advantage of "Aliette" is that it is systemic and is possibly the only chemical effective against aerial Phytophtora . It carries a "Caution" signal word. The active ingredient is an Aluminium compound & therefore very acid but it is not soluble in water.

12 years ago

It's not a 'Restricted Use' chemical, kimmsr. FYI

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

The advantage of "Aliette" is that it is systemic

i am trying to wrap my head around a goo that is sucked INTO a plant.. a systemic ..

that will offer protection to an external problem ...

it just sounds so counter-intuitive.. that my brain hurts.. lol ..

most systemics basically poison the insides.. so when the suckers/chewers come along.. they just happen to not appreciate it ... lol ...

just reading thru the link seems to suggest .. that it is a root rot or a water mold which favor high soil moisture and warm soil temperatures. ..

i just dont see how a systemic inside the plant can cope with external 'cultural' issues ... it cant change the ambient heat.. and it cant change drainage..

what am i missing ...???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

12 years ago

There are many strains of phytophthora and not always prevented by perfect soil conditions. Once a plant is infected, the pathogen spreads, systemically, throughout the plant...sometimes causing vascular system clogging, stem lesions, or leaf spots, etc. The symptoms depend upon the species of Phytophthora (causal agent) as well as the host.

This particular disease does require water in order to, but that can come in the form of a summer rainfall or overhead irrigation. The spores can survive in the soil for a very long time, just waiting for the right conditions. As always, with any plant problem, management tactics should come from several different directions...the cultural aspects are important but cannot always prevent infection. Systemics can be very useful.

Lookee at the link I found, ken! It explains it a whole lot better than I could. I've gone over the first two modules.

Here is a link that might be useful: EXCELLENT educational link!

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

There is some evidence appearing that indicates that systemic fungicides and insecticides get into a plants pollen and causes health problems with the insects that feed on that pollen. Some honey has been found to contain fairly large amounts of different systemic pesticides.

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

Maddie09, like my grandfather used to say, "Knowledge defies mathematics; the more you divide it...the more it is multiplied.