Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So, loopers like rosemary!

Posted by JimR36 9a TX (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 17:52

I've always been under the impression that rosemary isn't a host plant for pests (like caterpillars, moths, etc.) because it never seems to be listed. It seemed that the strong fragrance might be a deterrant.

So imagine my surprise to find a looper caterpillar sitting inside my rosemary plant. The next day - looking deeper - I saw an adult/moth, and a pupa cocoon. They all seem to match up with soybean looper pictures. Since there really aren't any flowers around, I bet the perpetual fragrance stands out, and attracts them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So, loopers like rosemary!

Some larvae moth and butterfly species are dietary generalists, and the adults are free to deposit the eggs on most kinds of vegetation.

Fragrance might be something of a deterrent for mammals, but I really suspect that it is the strong oils (and taste) of rosemary that keeps many insects (and the four legged pests) away. I have found, however, spider mites, whitefly, and beetles on rosemary.

Deer and rabbits seem to avoid it, though! ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here