Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these beneficial mites or spider mites??

Posted by BringItHard CA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 18:42

I opened my worm bin and at a very close look I saw all of these little tiny red mites not sure if they the good ones (Amblyseius Cucumeris)or also known as the predatory ones or are these the bad ones aka the infamous spider mites??

Image link: Are these beneficial mites or spider mites?? (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these beneficial mites or spider mites??

You won't find spider mites OR beneficial predatory mites in your worm bin. The beneficials predate on spider mites, which will only be found on green plants.

You have some sort of worm bin mite, about which know pretty much nothing. BUT with one click into Google using 'worm bin mites', I found you a bunch of articles to read. Click on google images first to see the duplicate of your picture. Which was excellent, by the way.

By the way, there are many, many species of mites and they are found in all kinds of habitats. Each tend to be very habitat specific, meaning that you can often come pretty close to identifying them by observing where they reside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm Bin Mites

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here