Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thedogsll

Info on a beetle, please

thedogsLL
10 years ago

For several years, I had a combination of daylilies and Asiatic lilies in a front flowerbed, and they grew and bloomed just fine, but had started to fade a bit. They needed thinning, so I decided to move them to a bed behind the house next to Morning Glory vines that had been growing for years. I�d never had any issues with bugs on the MG or other plants in that area, or anywhere in the yard, except Japanese beetles on some roses out front. (I�m not counting slugs on hostas)
The first year was fine, but last season, I found what I�ve identified as Golden Tortoise Beetle all over the plants in that corner. The lilies were literally eaten down to almost nothing, and then they attacked the MG. It kept growing, and blooming, but by mid-fall looked like sad rags hanging on the fence. I�ve found references online that say the beetles like MG, but it was the lilies they went after first.

So, long story short, does anyone know if I can expect the same thing again? Did it take the first year for the bugs to find the plants, and they�ll be back, or was it a one year aberration? I want the morning glories more that the lilies, so if digging them up will fix this and restore my vines, that�s fine.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths