Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lacleo

Black Aphids

lacleo
18 years ago

I have 2 hibiscus, some tulip bulbs growing foliage, a camellia twig that I'm trying to root, some morning glories from seed that are still young, and some clover growing indoors. I'm noticing all sorts of flies when I touch the soil to see if things need watering. Also, the hibiscus buds have black pepper looking mites or something. I always thought aphids were white..... So, I have a gnat problem and a aphid problem? Spraying the plants with Safer insectiside has not helped with the black spotted areas of infestation. The leaves of the hibiscus aren't "spotted" but the bugs or mites appear as little black polka dots all over the buds and in areas that don't get direct light. The only thing that helps is to take them outside and use the pressure hose nosel. I do have an issue with one of the hibiscus plant having yellow leaves frequently.

The tulips growing in the containers are now showing signs of the little black dots on the green, large leaves as of today.

Any suggestions? I have to soak the soil? The gnat/fruit fly problem is growing.

Comments (10)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

If they are soft bodied aphids, a spray of water or Safer should easily take care of them...I have seen aphids in both green or black here. Can you wipe off the polka dots or is this something more persistent?

Bt (subspecies israeliensis) will take care of your gnats (odorless, safe to pets, birds, fish, and us). You can find it in Gnatrol, Knockout Gnats, or in mosquito dunks - float a dunk or piece of one in a container of water overnight and use the water to water your plants. Repeated wetting and drying of the dunk does not reduce it's effectiveness so save it to use again. The larvae dies, adults don't live long, the breeding cycle is stopped. If your infestation is heavy, use about three consecutive times on your normal watering schedule.

• botanybob
    18 years ago

I would hazard a guess that the black dots you see do not move and in fact are the feces of the fungus gnats. If you can look at them with a hand lens, you should see that they are not insects or mites, and have no legs. Adult flies will perch on buds and tips of plants and leave their feces behind.

In addition to Morz8's recommendation, you might let the soil dry more between waterings. These fungus gnats love soggy, wet soil.

• lacleo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much. The black dots don't move on their own. I can wipe them off. Mixed in with the black dots are some white ones - they are much smaller than the black dots. So, I thought the white ones were new larve, and the black ones more mature.

• jean001
    18 years ago

Drag out a strong magnifying glass to look at those black dots.

Are those black dots squishable? If so they are most likely aphids -- they come in all sorts of colors.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

I'd guess that the white 'dots' might be the shed skins of the black 'dots'. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1145112}}

• mamadillo
    18 years ago

I think I have the same 'bugs'; they are on my chrysemums (sp?) outside. I know they are black, and they look enough like the white, & green aphids that I have seen to be called aphids. Now, I know that some pesticides are made from mum juice...so how's it that they are eating it?
    They are only on the mums and mostly close to the flower spike (almost in bloom again). AND-they are moving...not to fast but I can see them moving. I have also sprayed them with Safer pesticide...and they were still on there the next day. I also have some on the leaves that are about to open on my hibiscus. Any other ideas?
    Mama Dillo

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Pyrethrums are produced in large quantities only in a certain chrysanthemum.

• holly1
    18 years ago

i just repotted a miniature rose and found it invested with tons of tiny black bugs. what are these and will my rose suvive? what should i do? any info. will be greatly appreciated. thanks

• beverlyc-help
    15 years ago

help. my hibiscus is inside and has the pepper-looking residue on the buds that everyone has described above but there are No signs of any life. do the mites live in the soil? unfortunately hibiscus are Very water hungry and letting the soil dry is not an option.
    should I use Bt (israeliensis - in Gnatrol, Knockout Gnats, or in mosquito dunks) or use the soap spray mixture byron recommends?