Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple tree with holes in trunk

Posted by Luke2013 none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 21:28

Hi,

My maple tree has some suspicious looking holes in its trunk. Were these made by a bird? Or by an insect? Do I need to be concerned or do anything about them? The tree is rather young, and I want to help it anyway I can.

Thank you,
Luke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple tree with holes in trunk

There are a number of borers that can infest Maple trees depending on where in the United States you are. Some are of little significance and need no action from you while others may.
Have you talked with the people at your counties office of your state universities Cooperative extension Service about this? They will know which borer is in your area and also possible treatments if they need control.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 10:40

Have you seen any of these little guys around? I've got one here - it seems most interested in a mature magnolia. I'm just watching it for now, thinking its a little small to do lasting damage to a large tree - but its my first sap sucker. (new garden)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sap sucker

o

It's indicative of a sapsucker. Insects don't bore holes in straight lines around a trunk. Woodpeckers do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here