Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beneficial nematodes for lawn grubs - when apply?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 13, 10 at 21:53

I get grubs in the lawn which attracts moles which results in big ugly mounds of soil. I want to try something new this year and am trying to figure out the appropriate timing when to apply -- beneficial nematodes.

Anyone know when is the best time(s) to apply them for lawn grub control?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beneficial nematodes for lawn grubs - when apply?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 13, 10 at 23:57

Moles specialize in eating earthworms, seldom grubs. Beyond that, grubs are an uncommon problems in NW lawns.

o
RE: beneficial nematodes for lawn grubs - when apply?

Earthworms are the most favorite food of moles, although they will eat almost any insect including grubs. Nematodes need to be put into your soil when it is warm and moist, like mid June around here and that is really too late for them to be effective for this years crop of grubs. You could put Nematodes into your soil in mid September so the could get to next years crop of grubs.
Keeping in mind that gardeners have been trying to eliminate moles since at least the 16th century and the moles are still around there may be little, to nothing, we can do about them except coexist. The only people that are having any real success with mole control are those that sell you products to control them, that really do not work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here