Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White waxy lumps on stems.

Posted by Russell57 none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 23:07

I have white waxy lumps on the stems of a hedge in my backyard. When small (2-3mm) they look like a little Mr Wippy icecreams, a conical shape. As they get larger they are more like a blob. When removed they have a pinkish mouth shape on their underside. I pick the large ones off but squash the smaller ones against the stem. Just wondering what they are and weather squashing them is OK or if I'm actually spreading the problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White waxy lumps on stems.

Look up wax scale.

o

Russell, you've done a mighty fine job at describing the wax scale that Jean has identified! I suggest removing them rather than squishing. If you let us know the name of the plant and your general location, we can do a better job of coming up with the best solutions. Also, a good picture to allow us see the extent of the population would be helpful.

The eggs are inside the wax scale.....that's the pink stuff. That's why squishing might be a bad idea.

o

The usual control, oil sprays, for scale are not very effectiive against waxy scale since the oil does not form the barrier on them as it does on other scales. If not many the best control measure is hand picking with some suggestions that pyrethrin based materials can also be used although this very broad spectrum poison can also kill off the predators of this scale just as the much less desirable carbyrl will.

o

welcome to the down under ...

i tend to go to the systemic extreme ... on a VALUABLE plant ...

i would recommend just getting rid of a euonomys [WAG for sure] ... they are a plague on such [scale in general] ...... and not worth harming mother earth ...

when THINKING about chemicals.. you MUST start with a plant ID ... then a bug ID ... and then discuss ALL the remedies .. including removal of the plant ... i mean really .. is it worthwhile to spend $20 to 'save' a plant you can buy or replace for $10????

pic of plant and scale please ...

ken

ps: a month or so back we had a post from AU.. on some bush i never heard of.. that was being swallowed by scale.. anyone recall that plant.. piggley wiggley or something down under-ish??? lol ...

o
wiggley piggley..????

wiggley piggley..

lilli pillis..

whats the difference.. lol ....

see link.. perhaps that discussion will get you where you want to go ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thanks for all of your posts and advice, I think I'll keep picking them off by hand as there aren't that many and it can be somewhat therapeutic if you have the time and the weather's nice.

o

Keep in mind that there is some evidence that systemic insect poisons are harming the pollinators as much as the poison sprays are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here