Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scale infestation? If so, how bad?

Posted by pharaoness (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 23:17

I've had this euphorbia for well over 10 years, and always assumed the brown/tan formation was a sign of age. But I also noticed some other plants in my home having some growth on them. I've attached a picture. Across the top is the stem of a dracaena deremensis, under it to the right is the euphorbia, on the left is a dieffenbachia (the cane on top, back of leaf on bottom). Is this scale? If so, how bad is it and can it be cured? If not, what is it? Thank you.

Image link: Scale infestation? If so, how bad? (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scale infestation? If so, how bad?

The images aren't large enough to be totally helpful, and I lost my Mr. Magoo glasses somewhere. But I don't see anything that looks like an infestation of scale insects.

Any chance of more detailed (larger, closer) pictures?

o

Click the link, sorry the site only allowed that size, I should've linked them to begin with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scale

o

I still don't see anything that looks like a scale insect infestation.

o

It's easy to check. If it's just the natural bark it will not rub off with your nail. If it's scale it will wipe off and you will see the oozy brown body under the shell.

o

Thank you for all your help, I hope it isn't scale and I'll just wait and see what happens.

o

I have seen damage like that before on plants like that. I think it is due to too much moisture or a lack of dry air. It could be some kind of fungal thing, but it happens frequently in San Francisco. I have seen it at the best nurseries.

o

It looks like old physical damage to me. It looks like the plant grew some corky tissue to close the scrapes, damage etc.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 14:28

Succulent stems do that with age.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here