Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Posted by wolverine1012 6 SW OH (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 23:24

Anyone dealing with these? They look a lot like a squash bug but they have invaded our house. Last fall they congregated around the doors, waiting for a chance to sneak in. We thought we were being careful but all winter they have been turning up inside. It appears they have no predator because of the odor when killed. Luckily they are slow moving and easily captured. It's the disposal that's the issue.

I thought about a shotgun, but with all we've captured I'd have a lot of holes in the wall.

Suggestions???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Like the Asian Ladybug and the Box Elder Bug these wee buggers like to overwinter in our houses and they often can be found coming out of the wall cavity and inside on warm, sunny days. Swatting any of these is not a good thing to do since they all can leave stains and two can leave a bad odor. Most people I know trap and flush them.
Most every web site that talks about these talks about things to do during the summer to keep them out of your house and that is too late now. Spraying any pesticide in an attempt to control them can cause more health problems for you and your family then it would these insects.

Here is a link that might be useful: About stink bugs

o

Wolverine, you need to investigate possible points of entry. For examples, we had a problem with ladybugs coming in the house a few years ago. Our windows were tight, but our doors weren't. New weather stripping on the back and side doors and a new storm door on the front ended their annual winter migration for good.

o

I found one wrapped up in a daddy long legs web inside the house. So that was a nice surprise!

o

Not a daddy longleg spider, as they don't make silk....but glad you have some sort of spider in your employ.

o

Rhizo_1,
Not surprising that you were assuming what arachnid Kim pa is referring to; however, I am confident she actually is referring to the true spider known also by the (to me) more appropriate name of cellar spider or house spider. It's true name is Pholcus phalangioides.

Daddy-long-legs or harvestman "spiders" are Opilione arachnids that, as you correctly noted, do not produce silk.

The crane fly also has been called by the name of daddy-long-legs, adding to the confusion even more!

Another instance of confusingly-the-same common names being used for totally different species of creatures, whether arachnid or plant, etc.and why it is often necessary to use scientific nomenclature!

Here is a link that might be useful: A cellar spider by any other name

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here