Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whoa...?

Posted by calbayarea 9 SF Bay (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 1:10

I was mixing in some compost to one of my raised beds and found this guy about six inches or so down. Looked pretty disgusting... unless your a bird. Like to know what it is and if it's a yea or nay. I already assumed it was a nay, and took care of it but I'd like to know for sure.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whoa...?

That is a grub, the larva of one of the Scarab Beetles. The larger ones become the June Beetles that congregate around lights in June and the smaller ones become the Japanese Beetles.

o

if you only found one.. throw it on the driveway to feed some bird ...

there is some magic number per square foot of soil ... when they become a problem ...

ken

o

There are a lot more possibilities than just June beetles or Japanese beetles! Lets remember that the original poster is from California where JBs don't live.

Most of the Scarab beetles begin their lives as grubs. The green fruit beetle grub is common to compost piles in California and it might be a very good possibility.

o

The OP is in San Francisco. Japanese beetles aren't any where in CA, at least, not yet.

o

Got the same thing down here in SoCal... tons of them in my compost.

So, the big ass teal beetles I see flying around in Summer AREN'T June bugs? But, more likely, green fruit beetles?

Suggestions for control? I did incorporate DE in the pile a few days ago to hopefully kill off SOME of them.

Kevin

o

Good information. Thanks everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here