Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green algae or mold on branches of several plants?

Posted by luvpatch 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 1:37

HI! I am doing yard cleanup and pruning My yard and have noticed green algae or mold at the base of a bougainvilla plant, Wisteria vine and a few of my other plants. We have had cold wet freezing weather a few times this winter. I am wondering how to get rid of it and if this is going to harm my plants . Some of the plants are in containers and a couple of them like the vine are in the ground. I also have this green stuff on the outside of some of my terracotta pots. Any suggestions and help would be great! I live in Houston.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green algae or mold on branches of several plants?

w/o a pic ... its impossible to answer ..

but generally.. we do not clean the exterior of our plants ... you really havent given any info indicating it is in any way.. affecting the plants ...

as to the pot???? .... many peeps with clay pots.. smear buttermilk on them.. to encourage moss growth ... unless you are able to ID moss from algae ... i suggest you leave them.. but if you dont like it.. 10% bleach and a scrub brush, but dont get any on the plant ... but it will also wane as heat and drought start ....

pix????

ken

ps: google images for lichens ... they are not a problem ... ever ...

o
RE: green algae or mold on branches of several plants?

Most likely you need do nothing since that probably will go away once the plants dry out some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here