Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

A replacement for Isotox

Posted by chiuchimu Ca (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 2:33

Two decades back, all I needed was two insecticides; Malathion for safe use and Isotox for a good kill. Malation is still sold(just bought some) but Isotox is off the shelves.

Isotox was great, you could use it like a contact spray and the residue on the plant gets absorbed and becomes a systemic or you could drench the soil with it for deep tissue absorption.

What affordable systemic is out there that can replace Isotox?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: A replacement for Isotox

The Isotox, formulated with Lindane one of the most toxic poisons allowed to be sold to homeowners, have not been allowed for 15 years or so because of that toxicity. Newer formulations are out there however and there is much research that indicates these systemic poisons are harmful to our pollinators, much more harful then the benefits they provide.
Why do you think ot necessary to use such toxic poisons?

RE: A replacement for Isotox

I'm chuckling over the "safe use " comment.

RE: A replacement for Isotox

There is a systemic still sold called Cygon 2E which works wonderfully. Troublesome scale that kept coming back on my euonymous, which other products barely controlled, was completely wiped out with two applications. This plant once near death is now the picture of health one year later. This is apparently a commercial product so you need to make friends with your local nurseryman as I did, and you may be able to purchase it that way. I bought a quart and expect it to last for years because a few teaspoons goes a long way.

RE: A replacement for Isotox

Cygon 2E is reported, by the manufacturer, to be highly toxic to bees, both as a direct spray and through the pollen.
Since most plant problems, insect pests or plant diseases, can be traced back to the growing conditions that should be the first thing looked at, is this the right plant for this area. Is this the right soil for this plant? Start there instead of reaching for some product that is poisoning the planet we live on.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here