Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple seedlings

Posted by drew_byrd none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 4:44

Hey peeps, tried to upload some pictures of the problem but have some problems with that. I recently planted apple seeds, and have had healthy apple seedlings for about a month, until now; some sections of the leaf have turned ash-black, and on the corners of some leaves there is an orange tinge, as though the leaf is rusted. I have yet to give them any fertilizer or any solutions for pest prevention, I suspect this could be the problem. Could anyone enlighten me as to what to the problems could be? And if it is a nutrition problem, any organic alternatives to store bought fertilizers?
Drew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple seedlings

indoors.. outdoors..??

in the ground?? .. potted??

i think we need those pix also ...

and once you get those pix up ... there is a very active fruit forum for other opinions ...

if you dont know.. what you have there.. is understock.. for grafting.. should you ever wish to try that ... otherwise .. there is no way to know the 'quality' of your seed grown apple.. short of growing them for a very long time.. to get an apple off them ...

regardless .. it most likely is NOT a pest.. but one of the many diseases that afflict apple/malus ...

and what you will find.. is that apple.. in terms of 'production' involves a very proactive use of chemicals.. up to 6 times per year .... i am sure there are ways to do it organically.. but these wont be a plant and forget.. and hope for harvest type of thing... nor a pop into the GW and wing it thing.. you will need to start researching all this and become VERY proactive .... and the fruit peeps can help you with IPM ... integrated pest management.. which would also include disease ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: apple leaf diseases ....

o
RE: Apple seedlings

drew, we need more information from you to be able to offer any truly helpful advice. Pictures are very important.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here