Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's this weird white/yellow stuff?

Posted by weatherl PA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 8:45

I've seen several different...things...growing on/around my plants and wondered if I could get help IDing them.

Right now I'm most concerned about this stuff which seems to grow anywhere on the surface (we use mixed coconut), and recently I've seen it growing up stems of some plants. It's all indoors. Sometimes it's more yellow or more white, more bumpy or crusty; maybe it's not all the same thing?

What are they? Is it harmful to the plants, or to people/animals who might eat it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's this weird white/yellow stuff?

It's one of the slime molds, of which there are many kinds. Not a mold, nor a fungus, but an unrelated organism. Harmless, they move along feeding on bacteria and small bits of organic matter. They can find those food supplies on almost any outdoor surface.

Slime 'molds' aren't toxic. Many living creatures feed on them.

o
RE: What's this weird white/yellow stuff?

Thank you so much! That explains everything :) I'm relieved they're not harmful.

We wintered some plants in our mud room, but it got warm early this year and some were coming out of dormancy. We brought some pots outside to water them, and I found several interesting things on them.

White fuzz?

Some things look like a bunch of white strings. Some kind of mold or web?

This really does look like a spiderweb. I have no idea what the specks in them are, dust or eggs or? I haven't seen any obvious bugs in there.

Not exacty fuzzy, looks like a clump of white balls.

Bad for plants/animals? Harmless? Something that will go away once they're outdoors for a while, or here to stay? Any help is appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here