Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annizoe

there is hope for preventing vine borers and squash beetles

annizoe
10 years ago

II have seen that many others have the same problem...for the first 5 years living here in CT I had bumper crop after bumper crop of zucchini! Then a few years back...they started dying before a good harvest could be made. Two years ago I was lucky if I got 2 and that was with all my efforts to prevent VINE BORERS! I have a 10x12' plot only allows for about 6 plants...I can't plant more and have tried in pots but they don't last long (even huge pots.) I've tried row covers, wrapping bottom of stems in nylon stockings, tin foil, plastic cups and so on...NOTHING WORKS. BUT...

Last year, was the year I said this will either make or break me! I discovered BENEFICIAL NEMATODES at 'garden's alive.' You pre order them and they send them 'when ever they are ready' so it may be a few weeks before you see them in the mailbox but get them out fast so that the sun doesn't kill them! They need to be put in the garden that very day or the next...b/c they are live eggs (kinda like sea-monkeys.) I wait until we are safely in the 60 degree range (mid may) and then I order...again, it may take a few weeks for the order to be filled so be aware!

ANYWAY, I mixed them in a watering can and watered my garden and the surrounding area with these nematodes...they are small worm-like creatures that actively seek out beetles and their larvae...they will even infect the mother moth if they can...and drill into her body and eat her alive (ick), or so I've read. Results aren't overnight, because they are live infecting creatures and (totally organic.) I call it biological warfare.

Last year, my zucchini's lasted until the frost (they always die by the first week in august with vine borers despite my diligence.) I have always gotten more than 50 zucchinis over the years, two years ago I got a few because of the borers...After using the nematodes, last year I had only 1 plant become infested with SVB in late july, but the other's were ok. The ones in the pots were infested because all of the rain drowned the poor nematodes right out the bottom (they also had ground cover over the dirt and wrapped over the stems but still the SVB got it.)

Unfortunately last year was the worst year to test the theory because we had 4 heat-waves (several days of over 100 degrees) and lost the entire spring (mar-jun) to torrential rain...we are in New England so these conditions aren't normal. I only got 1 squash last year but the thing was that the plants were vibrant, and healthy and never wilted! Unfortunately due to the weather stress, they only produced male flowers (even after I pollinated them daily with a soft paint brush.) BUT that one squash was harvested in OCTOBER...well beyond the life of any squash plant I or my neighbors have ever grown!!! I did see a visible reduction in the black and yellow striped cucumber beetles as well...they must have been working!

I will definitely try the nematodes again but after this super-harsh winter of 2013-2014, I have no idea what to expect from summer weather. Good luck and I suggest nematodes in late spring and then another dose in early July to be sure!!! I still recommend on wrapping the bottom of the stems in nylon stockings and perhaps rig a way for the plant to grow up instead of along the ground...just sayin!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner