Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken wire for deterring deer?

Posted by appletree729 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 10:09

Has anybody ever used chicken wire, laid flat *on the ground* around the perimeter of your garden/yard to successfully (or unsuccessfully?) deter deer?

We currently have a 4 foot post and rail fence but I'd like to come up with a solution for deer before planting blueberries and a few apple trees this year. Apparently the deer don't like to walk on it. I figure that if I lay a 4 ft wide section a foot or two out from the fence (maybe propping the far side a foot or so, so the chicken wire is slightly sloped to compensate for any weedy vegetation that will grow under it) - that the deer will not want to jump the 5 or 6 foot horizontal length to get over the post and rail fence? Hopefully that all makes sense and you can visualize what I'm talking about!

I really want an inexpensive (and mostly invisible) way to keep them out. This seems like the best idea I have come up with so far!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken wire for deterring deer?

I have no comment about whether deer like walking on chicken wire.

But you will need a LOT wider section than that. A four foot jump to a deer is like stepping over a root.

Dennis

o

doubt 4 foot will do much of anything ...

check out the link.. maybe the 6th one might help .. if not.. try the other 622 posts ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Yes, I've seen that method suggested for deer and other animals, too. I do not know if it works well, or not. Well worth a try, I'd say.

o

Thanks everyone - I guess the idea was to play off of the habit of deer to not jump horizontally very far - similar to the way people use two 4 ft tall fences running parallel to each other, spaced about 5 ft apart, to control deer.

But maybe the outer barrier actually needs to be tall (as opposed to laying on the ground like I'm considering) and not just a certain distance away from the inner fence. I'd probably set the chicken wire a couple of feet out from the fence, so the edge of it would be more like 6 - 7 feet away from the actual fence. So the deer would need to jump 7 feet horizontally and then still clear the fence at the end…

There's also something like this with just wire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbRRgIbYKgw

I was hoping to avoid needing to rely on sprays and other such deterrents - it's a fairly large area that I want to keep them out of…

:(

o

Geez, I don't think that would work. We had a community garden in town and the lady had to use a double electric fence to keep the deer out.

o

You would need something with a mesh that would trap the deer feet, like a 2 inch by 2 inch mesh, laid parallel to the ground but about 6 inches above. Laid on soil would not trap their feet enough to make them leery of trying to cross. The same affect could be made with fish line stretched at the same height to cause the buggers to stumble a bit.

o

I think I'm going to try a couple of strands of fishing line strung on some fence posts. Thanks for the input everybody. This will be the cheapest way to experiment and from everything I've read/seen, it seems like it can be quite effective.

Hopefully between that, our fence and our dog, they'll decide to stay out.

Thanks for all of the input! I'll try to remember to post back here in a little while with an update in case anybody else is thinking about trying it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here