Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snake in garage

Posted by kalpana Sugar Land Tx (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 10:40

Last night I saw this snake in my garage, it was there for 30 min and ran away. 2 weeks back same type of snake i saw in my vegetable garden.
Please tell me is this poisnous or non poinous?
What I'm suppose to do, should i call pest control?
please help me.
kalpana

Image link: snake in garage (54 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snake in garage

It's not the best image for a good identification, but it looks to be a common Garter snake, very common almost everywhere. You'll find them in assorted shades and stripes and even some patterns. Take a look a the images I've attached so that you can be the judge of whether it's a garter, or not.

If so, you'll be happy to know that garter snakes are harmless though I would not suggest that you handle one carelessly. All snakes can bite and may even cause minor infection. The saliva may be slightly toxic to small prey. Garter snakes are most noted for climbing trees and posts to get into birds' nests, and for rooting around for worms, toads, and frogs. Small rodents would be prey, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for images of garter snakes

o
RE: snake in garage

Thank you very much for quick relpy. Thanks again.
kalpana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here