Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melrob123_gw

Confederate Jasmine Fungus?

MelRob123
10 years ago

My confederate jasmine lives in a large container next to a brick wall in full sun. It is less than 3 years old and the leaves have developed red & black spots over the winter. Any ideas on what this is and how to treat it?

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

It's one or more of a number of common fungal disorders known to effect a very wide assortment of plants. I've rarelyseen problems with Trachelospermum and from the color of your plant, I'm wondering if you repot (same container but fresh potting mix) and provide routine fertilization. Plants that are grown in less than ideal conditions are unable to muster up the energy reserves required to fend off disease infection or pest infestation.

Three of the most common diseases are Cercospora, Alternaria blight, and Phyllosticta. All are commonly called 'leaf spot disease'. If you want to know exactly which might be affecting your plant, you should contact your local extension office and arrange to send samples to plant pathology labs at Clemson.

If this were my plant, I'd cut it all of the way to the soil level, or nearly so, pull it out of the container, give it a root pruning, clean the pot, then repot with fresh, coarse textured medium with plenty of bark fines.

A visit to your garden center will lead you to an assortment of fungicides. READ THE LABELS to find one that will cntrol one or more of the diseases mentioned above. Do NOT rely on advice from an ignorant clerk who will try to push systemics or unnecessary "3 in 1" chemicals.

With improved cultural conditions and applications of the fungicide, you may be able to maintain a nice plant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i wonder if it was cooked in full winter sun against the brick after an extreme cold snap ...

it doesnt matter if we fix the current problem.. if we dont know if there was any occurrence that severely affected the vigor of the plant

could SC be the only spot in the US that didint have an extreme cold snap this winter????

i also wonder why it has two stakes .. plus something against the wall ...

ken

• MelRob123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just found this on some of the vines. Is it also a fungus?

Thank you rhizo_1 for the information. I will find a fungicide and will re-pot.

Ken,there was an extreme shift in winter temps. Warm one day and freezing the next and then back to warm again. Not a bit consistent with our normal warmer winter temps. Maybe that did cause some of the distress. The stakes are just leftovers from when it was smaller. I will take them out [just laziness on my part].

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

To my eyes, the fungal attack (if that's what it is and is not a manifestation of some nutrient deficiency of sorts) seems to be on leaves that are either undergoing normal senescence or are in distress due to climatic / environmental or nutrient deficiency reasons. I would concentrate on correcting the primary issue first (if this is a nutrient related issue) before investigating how to fight the fungus. Fungi often get easy hold on weak or dying tissue. It is Nature's way of helping something die sooner rather than later..
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 8:51

• HU-629908058
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Mine has this all over the leaves too. I put it in the ground last year and give it fertilizer and mulch three times a year. I also live in center all TX and the temps did get into freezing at times but was very mild this year. I have picked off the infected leaves (Which was a lot) If it comes back I will try the fungicides. I don’t want to cut the plant if I don’t have to unless it is going to kill my whole garden.

• Missi Shaffer
    3 years ago

Mine too! Except I’ve also got leaves turning orange. There were mealy bugs on it so I sprayed neem oil on it so that’s not a problem anymore. Did you ever find out what it is?