Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Major Snail Problem

Posted by hunterweav CA ZONE 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:40

Hello. In my garden, I have a Major snail problem. They eat all my plants. But they especially hide in my parsley plant which is really bushy and every morning I go out to pick them out and there is a bunch of them in there.
I've even trimmed my parsley back and they still do it. Then the cycle repeats because they lay eggs and they hatch in there and the snails stay on there all day long. How can I get rid of them? The problem
Is I have a lot of ladybugs in my garden which I love because they Eat all the pests so I don't want any chemicals that would kill them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Major Snail Problem

lady bugs would be killed by insecticides ...

snail will be killed by mollusk-cides ....

so to begin with ... you have to insure.. you use the right cure .. for the right problem ...

using the GW search engine, up near the top of the page ..... i came up with 130 pages of posts about snails/slug [and as far as i am concerned.. a slug is a snail without a shell...lol] ... i choose one below for a link... to get you started ...

and i will tell you one magic suggestion.. persistence ... they replicate faster than rabbits ... and its a year long battle... from egg stage .. to the butter and garlic stage ... lol ... there will be no mystery cure .. that will get rid of them .... except you never giving up ....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

You have a lot of snails because you have a habitat they like, cool and moist. You can change the habitat, you can set traps, you can set out poisons that are harmful only to critters like snails and slugs. The link below is from the
University of California - Davis.

Here is a link that might be useful: controlling snails and slugs

o

Snails don't really care if it's cool and moist - they persist anywhere there is food and cover. IOW, the plants. I live at the beach where it's pretty darn exposed and have zillions of snails. And slugs. The only really effective control is baiting for them and doing it religiously.

I recommend Sluggo or some other type of iron phosphate product. It is biodegradable and OMRI listed and virtually non-toxic to other, non-mollusk organisms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here