Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vegetarian_atheist

potential pests (wasps)

Vegetarian_atheist
10 years ago

okay, I am going to start planting soon. However, I am really allergic to wasps and pretty much anything that stings (but not deadly). It just came to me that there might be certain plants or veggies that draw wasps. Are there any vegetables that lure in wasps etc... I don't want to plant them if there are?

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Wasps, bees, and hornets all have important jobs in the garden...and there is nothing reasonable you can do to keep them out of the garden. Nor should you even try. They work as pollinators and as active predators in the yard and garden and most of us try to attract them. I can think of no particular plant that is any more attractive to these insects than others.

If it makes you feel more confidant, in all of my many years of working with and among plants, I have never been stung by a bee, wasp, or hornet. Well, ONCE....but I stepped on that Cicada Killer wasp in my bare feet. I deserved that one, lol.

If you can learn to relax and observe these little animals, you'll see that they are totally focused on their work and not you. Your allergic response makes you anxious, I totally appreciate that.

When I see wasps in my garden, I know that they are on patrol looking for caterpillars. They are better at that than I am.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I infrequently see stinging types of bees, wasps, and hornets in my veggie garden. I do see them where apples have dropped from the old apple tree along the edge of the veggies, but they don't seem concerned about my presence. I occasionally see non-stinging wasps, like the Ichneumonids which are parasites on many garden pests.

I have never been stung in the veggie garden (and only once out of it) in 40 years of growing veggies and flowers. Just wear footwear and be aware of where you are putting your hands and there should be no issues.

There are some veggies and herbs that will attract bees while they are blooming (squash, basil, peas and beans come to mind) but in general where there are flowers there won't be fruit and visa versa. Sometimes when I go to gather basil there will be a bumblebee visiting the flowers, but they are too busy with the flowers to pay attention to me. I just don't cut right where they are feeding.

• hortster
    10 years ago

Like nhbabs I have never been stung in the veggie gardens or perennial garden. I frequently deadhead things in the perennial garden - giant hibiscus, blue salvia, milkweed, agastache and so on. Bees, bumblebees and small wasps are usually swarming around en masse when I'm pruning. I think common sense, like not shaking flowers to get them off before pruning or making sure a bee or bumblebee isn't inside a fading giant hibiscus blossom (which does happen frequently), in essence a non-aggressive approach allows peaceful coexistence! Like nhbabs says they seem more concerned with nectar and pollen than with me. And don't wear cologne...
    hortster

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

most of the wasps in my garden ... use wood.. to make those big paper nests ...

you need to become better informed in the life cycles of the critters you are afraid of. .so you can act predictably in your garden ...

i also.. have never been stung gratuitously ... i have stepped on a bee in clover.. so i wear shoes ...

and i stay attuned to the noise they make ... and when i hear one.. i find out what its doing.. and dont bother them .. they are truly one set of the true workers in the garden.. and are very intent on the job that need be done ...

they really dont go out hunting to sting people ... especially people who respect them ... knowledge is power ....

good luck .. and keep the epi-pen handy.. if appropriately supplied by your dr ....

ken

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

I well understand the concern people with anaphylaxis have about bees and wasps, however, for the most part the wasps known as Yellow Jackets are really the ones you need to watch since the others are not really interested in stringing you. But, even the Yellow Jackets are beneficial insects because they do eat other insects.
    I have had neighbors and friends that are anaphylactic who have decided that the change of being stung is remote enough that they will not stop gardening because of that. It is much easier today since the EpiPens do not need to be refrigerated and, with the advent of cell phones, calling for help if needed is much easier than even 10 years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: About wasps

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Leave your wasps alone and they won't hurt you. In turn they will kill many bad pest that would eat your plants. Bees and bumblie bees are even more beneficial.

Hornets and yellow-jackets, OTOH, will sting you if their nest is disturbed. But I know of no plants that are particularly attractive to them.

Dennis