Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew killed my plants

Posted by warrensomebody (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 13:22

We had an incident in our garden recently where the use of Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew killed all the plants on which it was sprayed. This is an organic pesticide that contains Spinosad. Searching google, I can't find any other incidents of this occurring, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows how this might be possible.

This same bottle of Captain Jack's has been used by our gardener for the past year, and sprayed on the same plants without incident. It has been stored under a wooden bench on our roof deck in a moderate climate (San Francisco). We did have a few cold days in Jan where the temperature got down to the 30s, so there is a possibility that the near freezing temperature had an effect.

The garden is mostly succulents and passiflora. We use the Captain Jack's to manage a spider mites problem. Within a day of the last spraying I noticed that all the succulents had turned white and spongy, and the passiflora leaves were brown. After a week, all these plants were completely dead. Other areas that were not sprayed were perfectly fine.

I don't know if this stuff can go bad, but it certainly seems like it has. The color of the liquid in the bad bottle is slightly brownish yellow and has a slight odor, whereas a new bottle is clear and has no odor at all. We're pretty sure that no one has tampered with the bottle or put anything else in it. No one has access to our deck but us.

I'd really appreciate any insight anyone might have on this problem. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew killed my plants

Within a day of the last spraying

==>>>> i doubt anything.. short of a flame thrower... works that fast ...

how cold was it.. the week prior ...

even a freeze doesnt work that fast ... the actual cell failure and damage showing days or weeks later ... unless it gets real hot ...

i suspect cold damage ... on the dearth of facts regarding such ...

its hard w/o a pic of two...

ken

ps: shall we presume this was properly diluted and properly applied.. you give no real facts about the application ....

o

It definitely wasn't cold damage to the plants. The cold spell was weeks before this happened, and the plants looked fine for the weeks following that. The plants that were affected where only those that were sprayed. It might have been 2 days after the spraying that I noticed all the dead leaves. A week later the plants were completely dead.

The Captain Jack's is a ready-to-use product -- no dilution is necessary. And as I said, this bottle had been used for a long time before this incident occurred.

I've included a picture of one of the plants that was hit.

o

Here's another.

o

There's nothing in that product that would kill your plants.

Suspect environmental problems. Think you missed something.

o

Such products can separate out over time or if stored improperly. Temperature extremes are one of primary causes of problems. Once that happens, it is possible that certain ingredients can become phytotoxic and damage can occur very quickly.

I think that this happens more often with pre-mixed products. Never use a chemical....organic or otherwise, that changes color or consistency.

Buy smaller amounts, use them up before the onset of winter, or store in a climate controlled location.

o

rhizo_1 - Thanks for your input. I see that you're a professional horticulturist, so it sounds like you've had some experience with this sort of thing. I wish we had noticed the change in color and odor before using the product. Good advice on storing it in a climate controlled location. I'll pass this along to our gardener.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here