Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to kill chipmunks

Posted by debcoo2229 zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 13:30

I have messed with these chipmunks for over three years now - hav-a-heart traps (driven them 8 miles out of town) - they are causing a lot of damage to my home and my yard. I am afraid my front side walk will collapse if I don't do something immediately.

What is the best/fastest way to kill - yes, kill - these invasive pests?

Please do not respond with 'no kill' advice. I have had it with them.

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to kill chipmunks

A rat trap baited with peanut butter protected so no bigger critters get at it.

tj

o

I have had a rat trap outside along the side of the house (where they run) with peanut butter for three days. They haven't touched it!

o

Google ' chipmunk bucket trap '.

o

they tunnel ... as you know..

find the entrance ... get a very large plastic pot.. 25 gallons or so ...

place trap next to hole.. invert pot.. and hide it in the dark ...

i doubt they will gratuitously walk onto a trap ... but the scent.. in the dark.. seems to work ...

one other thing.. find the hole.. find many holes.. lightly crush them with your foot.. and come back every day or so.. and find out which are the active holes... i use irrigation/miss dig flags.. to remember where they are .. and then bait the active holes ...

the are hyperactive little bat-turds.. i once thought i had an infestation numbering in the hundreds.. trapped 3.. and my problem was gone ...

ken

o

Moving live wild animals without a license from the state is illegal in many places and could subject you to large dollar fines if you are caught. Moving live wild animals to new territory is not a good idea since the native wild animals there will often kill the intruders to protect the available food source. Placing poisoned baits is not a good idea since you cannot control which animal, a pest or a beneficial, gets that poison.
If there is a wildlife rehab nearby they may take live chipmonks to use as a food source for their other wild animals.

o

thanks Ken,
this sounds like a plan!

o

I do what Ken does but I put a heavy rock on top of the container so it doesnt blow over. Also, I use sunflower seeds as bait and prop the bucket up an inch or so with a stone. This always works for me. I like big snap traps.

o

thx for the advice -
where do you all get your 25 gallon containers?
black?

thx again,
Deb

o

I'm not sure where you live, but where I live, it being kind of off in the middle of nowhere, I just sit on the porch with a .22 rifle or pretty decent pellet rifle and kill them off.

Some might call it wrong, but it's probably more humane than some other methods IMHO.

o

Most states have laws that prohibit discharging any firearm that close to any dwelling, even your own. Be sure you know what laws or ordinances apply to you.

o

It's also why I mentioned depending on their location. Myself? I live off the back roads, kind of in the middle of nowhere, woods around etc, so most folks can get out, do as they please for the most part, target shoot etc and doesn't bother anyone.
Things are different here, than in MI. The last thing the police are worried about here is a chipmunk being slaughtered in all honesty lol. And rightly so, there are more important things to worry about usually.

But with that said, if you have neighbors on both sides, and live in a traditional neighborhood, please don't get out and start shooting lol.

Another thing you may want to check into is, a motion sensor sprinkler perhaps? I think amazon has one called scarecrow. It basically detects movement and gives a few quick squirts of water. That might help, just turn it off before you step out there of course..

o

25 gal container..

most good nurseries have a recycle bin for pots ..... just get the largest you can.. and yes.. i have a brick to put on top also ...

or buy a tree to plant.. in a large pot.. lol ...

the idea is simply that you have room for the hole.. the trap.. and some ground.. for him to search around in ...

a 25 gal is the equivalent of an old wood bushel basket ... but that would probably not be dark enough ...

a cardboard box from the grocer might work .... until it got too wet ... tape some plastic on it.. to water proof it a bit ... [think dollar store plastic paint tarp] ....

did you find the holes yet???

ken

o

You can use a 14" black nursery planter pot. 25 gallons isn't necessary.
I also use a shotgun sometimes. A .410 goes only 50 feet, has no kickback. I live in the woods.

o

I am so frustrated! I am trying to sell my house and these little critters could jeopardize that.. I have tried traps with pb.. Chipmunk pool.. Everyone that does the pool talks about having one within minutes.. I have had one for 3 days... Nothing.. They eat the seeds on and around the plank but do not get in.. I work full time and don't have a lot of time to sit around trying to catch the critters and since my house is for sale - cant really go off and leave traps and stuff in plain view in case someone comes to see the house. Is there some quick and easy solution - something to just put in their holes?

Thanks!!

o

hire a professional

here in MI we have trapper bob

google your brains out.. until you find someone.. wherever you are ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Just a word of warning... If you kill them, you will become a chipmunk in your next life.

Apart from that, why not catch and release? Thats what we did when I found a nest of TEN baby possums, plus mom underneath our porch.
Get a cat?
spray whatever they're destroying with chili pepper spray?

Everything in nature is there for a reason...i.e. bug control, etc.

o

Just a word of warning... If you kill them, you will become a chipmunk in your next life.

Apart from that, why not catch and release? Thats what we did when I found a nest of TEN baby possums, plus mom underneath our porch.
Get a cat?
spray whatever they're destroying with chili pepper spray?

Everything in nature is there for a reason...i.e. bug control, etc.

o

Try this for chipmunk elimination.

Here is a link that might be useful: chipmunk / rodent bucket trap

o

Get a Cat. No kidding, thats what I did. Gets rid of all the little critters in the garden, and it's natures way."

o

Get a Cat. No kidding, thats what I did. Gets rid of all the little critters in the garden, and it's natures way."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here