Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird black bugs crawling up my crepe myrtle

Posted by alison_charleston Z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 13:34

So this is not the first time this week I have seen these groups of black bugs traveling up the branch of my crepe myrtle. Any clues to what they are?? In the second picture you can see the one group and then another group coming up at the base of the trunk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird black bugs crawling up my crepe myrtle

I know exactly what they are, having seen them several times in Hilton Head/Beaufort,SC. I think it might have been on Rose Hill Plantation (you're familiar, probably) that I first saw them...and on a Crape myrtle! Pretty weird, huh?

They are winged and non-winged versions of the Giant Bark Aphid, an insect that I am pretty sure is pretty rare, at least in my experience. It is considered the largest of all the aphids.

o
RE: Weird black bugs crawling up my crepe myrtle

Cool. They are almost never a problem because they have a tendency to maintain themselves and not over-populate. I recommend leaving them alone. Maybe even try an experiment: communicate with nature and ask for praying mantises and parasitic wasps. Then keep your eyes open and see what happens. I am a firm believer that these things come in answer to our prayers. Have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here