Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela1234_gw

Springtails: What are your thoughts?

angela1234
10 years ago

I am new to potted plants and I noticed tiny white bugs in the soil of my new meyer lemon tree. I'm almost positive they are springtails. I've been reading up about them and I've read that they can be good because they eat decomposing organic material but they can also be bad because they may eat new roots.

I watered the plant once on Saturday and then this morning did a pencil test and the tip came up damp. I think that it is a sign that the soil isn't draining well and I may want to try repotting my tree into 511 or gritty mix soil for better drainage. Should I try something to get rid of the springtails? What are your thoughts on springtails, good or bad?

Comments (3)

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Springtails are mostly nothing more then obnoxious. They live on decaying vegetative waste, organic matter, and need quite moist conditions to exist. A potting soil that is mostly organic matter and is kept evenly moist is an ideal environment for them.
    One simple control measure is to allow the top 2 inches of the growing media to dry out before watering again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Springtails

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

IF YOU JUST BOUGHT IT.. AND ITS INFESTED WITH BUGS... RETURN IT ..

if you are new to potted plants.. i wonder how good your guess is to the bug ...

i dont know what the pencil tells you .. i use my finger.. to tell me when media is dry ...

if i watered my houseplants on saturday ... and they were still moist on thursday ... i would NOT be surprised ..

you are on the verge of loving this thing to death ... since getting it... you are contemplating insecticides.. repotting ... and i will bet you already fed it ...

trees in pots are EXTREMELY hard ... took me about 20 years to understand this ... they like a drink.. and near drying.. before another drink ... if you treat them like semi-tropical plants and keep them constantly soggy.. they will not thrive ... the roots will rot.. and bugs will show up ...

the best i can recommend is first.. return it ... failing that.. make sure there are drain holes in the pot .. if not take it out.. and make some by drilling them .. or put it in another pot... of exactly the same size.. and put a tray under it ...

at your level of experience .. i would not bare root it... to put it in new media ... unless you fully understand.. its very hard to do.. and you might lose it ... and if you are willing to lose it.. go for it.. thats how we learn ...

many of these plants are sold as very short term decorations .. by repotting.. you can make it more long term ...

my 8 year old son bought one once.. and drown it ... it was in a pot .. with inappropriate media.. and no drain holes .... it didnt live long enough to get bugs ... walmart did not expect it to live long.. and that was shown in the price ... he was happy with his decoration ... and lost interest.. and did not worry about it ... etc ...

i wish you luck ... but dont go spending 20 or 30 dollars.. trying to save a 5 dollar plant ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Angela, did you buy your citrus locally or via mail order? Can you take some pictures so that we can see the size of your tree and the container?

I'd very much like to encourage you to visit the popular Citrus Forum, where you'll find all kinds of good help from those who also grow citrus in containers or in the ground. Repotting is no big deal, but it is important that you use a good potting medium.

Many over there use a good bark based medium produced by Fafard. It's ready to use right out of the bag.