Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I rid my flower pots of scale insects and eggs?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i Schenectady, NY 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 14:46

I had to literally throw out between 2/3 and 3/4 of all my plants because they either had scale, were showing signs of scale or were dying of dehydration. What I want to do in the wake of this disaster is transplant my lemon tree into a bigger pot. I have tons of pots that I can go with, but they may have been used to house plants with scale.

How do I disinfect the pot I'm going to use to replant my lemon tree so it doesn't get scale? Thanks a bunch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I rid my flower pots of scale insects and eggs?

never heard of a pot having scale... they are suckers.. whats to suck on a pot???

regardless.. scrub all pots in 10% bleach... thats what i do ...

if you spend some time learning about the life cycle of scale... it would do you well ... the eggs were under the dead momma ... they should be gone.. when the plant is gone ... and for sure will be gone.. when you scrub the pot out ....

ken

o

I just checked and we don't have bleach at all. Is there another method? If not, can you recommend a plant-friendly brand of bleach?

o

Ken's advice is good and simple. Scrub the empty container with a brush and soapy water, followed by a quick dip in a diluted bleach bath....one part household bleach to nine or ten parts water. Air dry.

But all that is simply to clean and disinfect the POT. Ken is also right in that scale insects and eggs won't be found on the container just on the stems and leaves of your plants.

Are you sure that you properly identified all possible problems with your plants?

o

So, it doesn't matter what kind of bleach I use? Is Clorox safe for plants? I just don't want to use a bleach that will probably kill my plants later.

And, yes. I closely watch over my plants for any other pests and I haven't seen scale, spider mites or anything else.

o

Any bleach will do and the chlorine will dissipate in a day if you air dry them as rhizo said.

tj

o

Okay, good. I'll see if we can get some bleach and then I'll take care of this. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here