Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus on lilac?

Posted by mary420 none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 15:06

I just moved into a new house and this growth is on one large branch of a big Lilac tree. Do I need to remove the branch? The whole tree? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus on lilac?

Whether or not the entire tree needs to be removed is something that cannot be answered by the evidence of one picture. I can tell you that its presence means that it is killing the limb OR that there is already considerable deadwood in that limb. If the rest of the tree looks as bad as that limb does...put it out of its misery.

Lilacs are notoriously prone to problems. If this one is a commanding presence in your yard, you should seek the expertise of an ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) certified arborist for an evaluation.

o

that fungus is decomposing dead wood ...

i doubt it killed it..

cut it as close to the ground as possible .. and see what it does the rest of the year ...

lilac are rejuvenated thru .. get this.. rejuvenation pruning ... a trunk that big.. should have probably been pruned out 10 to 15 years ago ...

odds are.. nothing kills a lilac .. i have seen hundred year old trees in front of centennial farms ..

just remove that part.. and odds are.. it will go gangbusters ...

ken

o

Thanks- it is a pretty big tree and that is the only limb effected. I will cut it out and keep my fingers crossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here