Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natural pest control?

Posted by eggplant2eat 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 15:13

I have search here but can't find..

I want to control pests in my vegetable garden but am clueless as what I can do......any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

also, how do you attract good bugs and bees?

Eggplant2eat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natural pest control?

Firstly, you should begin educating yourself about the many different critters you'll likely meet in your garden...good and bad. Identifying the pests as well as the beneficials will be extremely helpful to you. I think that a good field guide is a terrific place to start. Visit your local bookstore to see if you can find something that you like. (I have several, but often recommend The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders. I made it a requirement for my college level insect classes, and since the book is covered with a black leatherette binding, several people thought that I was teaching Bible studies, lol.)

Bees, of course, are attracted to plants that provide plentiful supplies of nectar and/or pollen. Many of the annual and perennial flowers that we incorporate into our landscaping will end up being bee (and butterfly, moth, hummingbird, etc.) plants. Do some internet searches on 'nectar plants' and you'll get lots of ideas.

o
RE: Natural pest control?

Insect pest control starts with the soil your plants grow in. Plants growing in a good healthy soil are less attractive to insect pests. Then you need to learn about the beneficial insects and their needs and plant things that will help attract and keep them nearby for when you may need them. Finally you need to properly identify which insect pest you have and learn about the proper and least toxic means of controlling that insect pest, if you really need to. Many times there really is no need for control because if you wait just a bit the predators of that pest will take care of it, provided you have not sprayed something the at will kill them off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here