Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What critter is it?

Posted by eacollie 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 15:24

How can I tell what is eating my plants? I don't know if I have a gopher, mole, or vole.

Two of my knockout rose plants have fallen over...I find it's because their roots are gone. There are holes in the mulch. I have a fence on one side of the garden (borders an undeveloped subdivision) and I noticed today there are teeth marks and wood eaten away between two vertical slats of the fence.

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What critter is it?

Not a mole if plant damage is being done. If the roses have been simply uprooted (displaced), that would be one thing...but you said that the roots are actually gone. That and the chew marks indicate a vole or gopher to me. What size is the hole and have you noticed any mounded tunnels in your yard?

o

Your location might help as well.

o

Thanks.

The holes in the mulch are small (about 1 inch) and I don't see mounds.

I'm in Knoxville, TN.

o

You've got voles. They are hard to get rid of if not impossible. If it were me, I'd go snake gathering. You can keep them out of your beds by lining them with a 1/2" wire mesh or expanded metal. I'm not sure if castor beans would work on them but they do work on gophers IME.

o

Thanks!

Voles are so tiny...maybe something else is chewing on the fence? I'm trying castor oil. I'll look into fencing, but I'm sure you have to place it down about a foot in the ground.

Thanks for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here