Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Azadirachtin... does it work and is it safe?

CaraRose
10 years ago

Has anyone ever used Azadirachtin products? I know it's a neem derivative, and everything I'm reading says it's safe for non-target insects and the environment.

I'm curious about the effectiveness and if it is a safe product.

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Yes, and Yes, IF you follow directions.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

When used carefully and properly, neem products are far less hazardous than other pesticidal products, including "organic " chemicals. I find its effectiveness as an IGR (insect growth regulator) very remarkable and useful in the control of phytophagous insects.

It should never be used indiscriminately over the garden to prevent pests or to control an unseen or unknown critter.

These cautions are true with ALL products used in our gardens, no matter how "safe " or "natural " they are reported to be.

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'm most interested in using it for fungus gnats and aphids for my indoor seedlings.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

they did not answer in regard to indoor use ...

i would NEVER use anything indoors .. period ... regardless of labeled uses ...

indoors in a greenhouse is one thing.. in my house is another ...

hindsight is 20/20 and all that.. but prevention is the key ...

so.. for next year.. prevent them ... of which i suggest soil sterilization .. see link .. proper watering.. and perhaps additional air movement ... [i even sterilze bagged media claiming to be sterilized]

are you using a professional grade media???? ... this is important.. as compared to using dirt or compost .. home mad stuff ... as it can be sterilized .. but also.. the whole point of it is.. water management.. of which.. with gnats.. that is the main problem ...

also go hospital clean on all tools and pots.. etc.. by washing everything in advance in 10% bleach ...

only one time in my life.. did i live thru an in house gnat explosion.. lol.. never again ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Cara, I don't believe that it will be helpful for a fungus gnat population. Neem needs to be ingested to be effective, unless you are using it as a horticultural oil or a fungicide. Do some research to see if a drench will affect fungus gnat larvae in the soil. Let us know what you find out.

Neem is safe to use inside, but most people object to the odor.

I, too, advise people to really evaluate their choice of potting mix and watering habits if fungus gnats become a problem. Mosy commercial soilless mixes are comprised of very mucky peat and not enough coarse textured components. Perlite and bark fines, for example.

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have outdoor plants that I brought in to overwinter, I'm pretty sure the aphids came from that (specifically from the mandevilla). I was winter gardening lettuce and have been fighting with insecticidal soap.

I made it through most of the winter without a single gnat. Suddenly, poof, tons of them. I soak the seed starting mix in boiling water, I didn't think to do this with my potting mix though, and I repotted a few plants. I'm thinking they probably came from the potting mix.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

As the others have stated Neem Oil products can be an effective and relatively safe insecticide when used carefully. There is evidence that it can adversely affect pollinators, however.

Here is a link that might be useful: about azadirachtin