Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what flowers do not attract bees?

Posted by quirkpod 7 Lewisville NC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 6, 06 at 16:15

I want to plant a mailbox garden that will not get the mailman stung. What flowers are not visited by bees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what flowers do not attract bees?

I'm afraid that you're going to be disappointed with what you can grow, if colorful flowers are what you really and truly want. All those kinds of plants are insect pollinated. The grasses (there are some interesting ornamental grasses) are wind pollinated.

You'll have to think in terms of colorful foliage, ornamental grasses, or cool plants that don't flower.

o

• Posted by byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 19:26

Feverfew

o

Good job, Byron!!!! I never knew this...and will remember it as this question comes up fairly frequently. Thanks for the information!

o

Bees are not very aggressive when they are out foraging at flowers. I doubt they will pay any attention to the mailman. They will aggressively defend their hive, however. This is why bees don't get any mail.

o

You are correct, botanybob, but this situation, in particular, needs a bit of individual attention. One, the mail person may not appreciate having to drive up to a buzzy mailbox. Two, it is well documented that CO2 (exhaust) incites more aggressive behavior. Three, other and less benign pollinators will be attracted to said flowers. Four, mail person (s) may be fearful or allergic to insect venom.

Thus, planting a flowering vine or flower bed at the foot of the mailbox is a crummy idea, period.

Me? I spray a sugar solution on my arms just to have the bees and wasps spend a few moment with me. Have never been stung in my many years of working amongst these wonderful insects, but know when they should be not be introduced into a particular area.

o

Bees are not attracted to red flowers, however, if they are perfumed they may find them. A lot of very ruffled double flowers are not very attractive to bees either because they can't find their way in.

So, if you can find a red, double, non-perfumed flower, you are in business!!

They are not particularly attracted to geraniums and dianthus either.

o

I was thinking of red flowers also. Long-tubed red flowers typically are pollinated by hummingbirds, not bees. Scarlet gilia and some of the Penstemons would be good, such as P. barbatus, P. eatonii.

o

they dont attract to tulips roses or lillys

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here