Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider mites on knock outs

Posted by bmh4796 South Louisiana (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 17:21

Hi. Does anyone know how to get rid of slider items on knockout roses? I've heard that certain products make them reproduce more??? If possible, can you recommend a systemic product? I HATE sprays. I love Bayer tree and shrub advanced, but I'm afraid that it may be one of the products that encourages rapid reproduction.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider mites on knock outs

A spray with water every week or so should dissuade them.

tj

o

mh, the Bayers product IS renowned for creating population explosions in pests....most notably spider mites.

I have to respectfully disagree that a weekly spray of water will control mites on your roses. Recommended treatments include insecticidal soap......the REAL STUFF....and horticultural oil. Application of anything, including water, needs to be directed to the underside of the foliage where mites like to hang out.

Be sure to read, understand, and follow the label directions.

o

Some research has found that the systemic pesticides are very harmful to our pollinators and most all of the pesticides are very broad spectrum and kill off the beneficials that can help control the few pests.
Understanding the life cycle of Spider Mites more than likely can help keep them under control. Note in the attached article where it states that Spider Mites often become more of a problem after spraying for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Spider Mites

o

Thanks for the good link, kimmsr. It recommends water, insecticidal soaps, and oils. I'd go for the water first of all.

o

As I recall daily misting to help raise the humidity level around the plant. Once a week is not going to help when the weather is hot and dry.

o

Thanks everyone. Ill break out the neem oil. ugh i just hate spraying!

My beneficials don't seem bothered by Bayer tree and shrub. I've got lots of lady bugs and red orange assassins and little wasp flies. I only use it when I've got a real problem pest to deal with, however.

The humidity will kick in soon. I'm in south Louisiana, so rarely are we lacking humidity ;)

o

bmh4796,
"In gardens and on small fruit trees, regular, forceful spraying of plants with water often will reduce spider mite numbers adequately. Be sure to get good coverage, especially on the undersides of leaves. If more control is required, use an insecticidal soap or oil in your spray, but test the product on one or two plants to be sure it isn’t damaging to them. (See Chemical Control below.)"
Source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here