Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moths in my House Plants......

Posted by ladyish2 10az (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 18:05

Help... I have moths laying eggs (caterpillars) in my house plants soil. My plants then start to look sick. So when digging them up to investigate I find the caterpillars and the plant has little to no roots left....

The moths are little white/grey. They look like they could be pantry moths.

How do I get rid of them???

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moths in my House Plants......

Moth eggs are laid on plants, not in soil.

Pantry moths won't attack plants or the soil they are in.

So, any chance of images? We need some of the damage, the worms you dig up, and if possible, the flyers.

o

Moths don't lay eggs in soil

Pantry pests aren't interested in plants or soil.Any chance of images?
Helpful would be pix of the damage; of the worms; and/or of the flying things.

o

It is not very likely that pantry, grain, flour, moths will harm plants. They are present because many of your grain products, flour, corn meal, etc. will have the eggs that will become the adult moths in them and given the right combination of temperature and humidity they the eggs will hatch and the larva will feed on your grain product and then pupate into the adults we do see as they flit about looking for a mate so they can lay more eggs in your grain products.
The simplest way we have found to prevent them is to store these grain products in the freezer.

Here is a link that might be useful: About pantry moths

o

ladyish, have you ever heard of fungus gnats?

o

While I don't think Fungus Gnats look anything like moths some people might. Note in the link where they state that Fungus Gnats are easiest controlled by closely watching the amount of water a plant gets.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Fungus Gnats

o

Sometimes, people may use the wrong terms to describe something unfamiliar to them. It occurs on a regular basis in the gardenweb, which is why we try to 'listen ' to other verbal clues. As jean says, pictures would be very helpful.

o

in z10 ... why are they still in the house ... dont they go outside for summer????

in my world.. it is time to get them outside.. and either repot.. or use a systemic soil drench ... and leave them out there for a month.. and when its time to bring them indoors.. they will be problem free ...

do you know how to do all that... they do NOT go out in the sun.. etc ...

have you tried the houseplant forum??

i mention this.. because it is near impossible for most of us.. to photo tiny flying insects ...

ken

o

There may be little moths, and something different in the soil, some kind of root munching entity, at least during part of its' life. If the plants have been outside before, or if there is organic matter in the soil, even if from a bag, any number of critters could be in the soil. Connecting whatever it is to the moths, perhaps incorrectly, may be the confusing thing here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here