Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seven ready to use not working

Posted by gobluedog none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 18:31

I'm at my wits end !! My Chrysanthemums Cuttings i saved from Last Fall got lots of brown Aphids. I sprayed Seven twice and does not seem to work, i even took them out to my garage where the Temp is 45 sprayed all the leaves, top and bottom hoping the cooler air temp woud kill them !! I even set them out durring a heavy Rain storm hoping to wash them off. I just can't believe the Seven Bug spray didn't do Bronthe trick !! i guess i will have to try the soap and oil spray!! Aphids in MI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seven ready to use not working

From the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture:

"Sevin (carbaryl) is not effective against many aphids so it is generally not a good choice for control unless recommended specifically. In fact, applications of Sevin may reduce the number of beneficial insects, such as lady beetles, and increase the potential for aphid outbreaks."

How established are the cuttings and can they take a bit of a spray of water?

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: UK Aphid info

o

If only a few, you can squish 'em.

Also effective will be direct hits of insecticidal soap, diluted according to label directions

o

The most effective, and least toxic, method of aphid control is to simply knock them off the plant with a sharp stream of water. Not even Insecticidal Soap is really needed. However, putting the affected pants out in the rain or even under the shower will not be effective. A spray bottle filled with tap water used to knock the wee buggers off will be.

o

what was the point of applying sevIn a second time.. if it didnt work the first time???

did you use sevin indoors the first time.. is is labeled for said use?????

and if rain washed off aphids.. one would think that aphids.. as we know them.. would not exist..

for the most part.. they are on the undersides of the leaves .... and but for the worst rain storms.. they wouldnt be affected by such ...

ken

o

I'm SURE that gobluedog would never use Sevin RTU inside! Right, gbd? Please tell us that you didn't.

It probably shouldn't have even been used inside the garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here