Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Prevent Mildew from Returning?

Posted by trc225 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 18:43

I ended up with mildew in my vegetable garden last summer. I fought it for months, but it finally took over and killed just about everything in my garden. Now that it's almost time to plant, I'm afraid it's still out there. Is there anything I can put on my garden before I plant to kill any mildew that might be left?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Prevent Mildew from Returning?

No.

Sanitation and persistence with the preferred product to combat PM are the tools at hand. PM is effectively ubiquitous.

Dan

o

Powdery Mildew happens when environmental conditions favor it so it is difficult to prevent its occurance. Growing plants in a good healthy soil with proper spacing (encourages good air movement) can help but often will not prevent some Powdery Mildew. This web site may provide some more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Powdery Mildew

o

I'm a little curious about the 'everything in my garden' comment. Powdery mildew (we are talking about PM, right?) doesn't tend to effect every plant in a garden, but rather one particular group of plants, usually closely related to one another.

There are many, many different strains of PM and they tend to be quite species specific about which plants they can infect. For example, the strain that we find on our (say) zucchini won't infect the beans.

So! Can we have a little more information, trc225? We might be able to suggest PM resistant cultivars, spacing suggestions, and general 'housekeeping' changes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here