Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vkay_gw

Captain Jack's Deadbug brew

vkay
14 years ago

Has anyone tried this organic bug spray? Does it work on cucumber beetles. I see beetles listed, but not cucumber beetles. Thanks for any information.

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Vkay, don't forget that labels cannot list every single insect that may (or may not) be controlled by the product. The product you've mentioned (which I have never used), is designed to help control those insects that FEED ON VEGETABLE MATTER. That's a zillion or so different kinds of insects....can't list 'em all! I promise you that Cucumber beetles would be on the 'long list' of pest insects controlled by this product.
    Spinosad has shown to be 'relatively' safe in regards to predaceous insects, including beneficial beetles. It needs to be ingested by the insect in order for it to be wholly effective. Though it does have some contact killing action, it is far less than if it is ingested.

Again, it's a product that when used with good sense, and according to label directions, can be a helpful tool in integrated pest management. I would never use such a product freely or widely, or as a prophylactic. Spray it only where the pest is directly feeding or you know that they will be feeding over a very few days.

I've used products containing this active ingredient for two purposes. I've purchased a fire ant bait containing spinosad and was quite pleased with the results. I also used a spray to control a very heavy visit by some wicked japanese beetles on a young Allee Elm planted in our front yard. Between the birds and the Spinosad, the beetles didn't have a chance.

• vkay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info and I'll be careful with it's use. I try to organically grow vegetables but have fail with cucumbers. I usually stop growing cucumbers, squash, & potatoes once the pest are in my garden, but wanted to try this new bug spray. But I have not seen much comments about it, other than the usual marketing information.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

What are the other ingredients, do you know? If the only active ingredient is Spinosad, then you can do some local comparative shopping, if you want to. Shop for the best buy for the same amount of active ingredient. Spinosad is used by lots of different companies, these days.

Be SURE to avoid getting this (or any spinosad product) any where near the flowers! It can be very hazardous to bees.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

By law a company that sells a pesticide must list the target insects on the label. If the insect is not listed on the label either the product has not yet been tested on that insect or the product is not effective at controlling that insect. If an insect is not listed on a product label it is because the EPA has no good reason to allow that insect there.

• vkay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The only active ingredients are Spinosad D & spinosyn a. I usually don't spray much of anything in the vegetable garden, but this year I would like to try growing cucumber again. Hence, the problem with cucumber beetles! Usually I only grow pest prone plants every 3 years. It cuts down on the pest in the garden and reduces the spraying. Thanks everyone for the information.

Now I just need to keep the squirrels and chipmunks off my other vegetables!

• cindy_lou_hoo22_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I was with my Dad gardening and made the horrible mistake of spraying Deadbug on the plants straight (not diluted with any water). I assume they will die now- is that a safe assumption? Is there anything I can do to save them?

• laura10801
    11 years ago

I have used it on my lilies. It kills the dreaded Red Lily Beetle larva. I was pleased by its results and it is organic, active ingredient is Spinosad. I wish it was less expensive.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert