Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with anthurium

Posted by EHlady none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 19:02

Hi all,

I received this anthurium as a gift in the mail from 1-800-flowers and it was subject to some cold temperatures due to a storm-related delivery delay. A lot of the leaves turned brown and died, but there are still a number of small leaves on the bottom. Most seem fine, but one has some flaky, chunky white stuff on it (which seems to be stable and over the last week, has not increased much at all). It looks like table salt. Is this a mold/fungus, or could it be a bug? I have other plants, so I want to throw it out if its a bad bug infestation that could get to the others, but I don't want to give up if its salvageable. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with anthurium

i would just wet a tissue.. and wipe them down..

and give it a month to recover.. and SEE IF ANYTHING REDEVELOPS ... a couple spots are not worth nuking the thing .. AT THIS TIME ...

its not salt per se ..... lol.. no one salts their plants.. but you are close.. as most fertilizers are actually a salt ... and if so.. then just wiping them down with WATER.. should be good enough ...

florists are famous for sending plants in pots with no drainage .... if so.. water carefully.. and perhaps in a month or so.. when it has gotten over this shock.. you can repot it properly ...

good luck

ken

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

Can't tell if that's hard water deposits or residue left from guttation, but I'm pretty sure it's one or the other of these harmless circumstances. Either should be removed by being rained on a few times, when it's warm enough outside, of course.

In the meantime, it looks like there's a flimsy plastic liner in the pot. It should be easy to lift that from the decorative outer pot and poke some holes in the bottom of it. Then you can water it well, when it needs such, and excess can escape. When it's finished dripping completely, put back in outer pot. This will help keep the salts mentioned above from accumulating in the soil until it's a better time for repotting (longer days, warmer temps, more humidity.)

When you take it out of the cache pot, you should be able to see through the plastic liner, to see if the soil is packed full of roots, or if they still have some room to expand. If it's packed full of roots, I would change the soil and trim the roots soon.

Ken's suggestion of wiping the leaves is perfectly reasonable but if your tap water has lime in it, it may not help much, or even leave more spots, but at least any dust would be removed.

If you have more questions about house plants, you may want to ask in the house plant fourm.

o

then use momma spit.. its magic..

and usually not limey.. unless she has been dipping in the gin ...

lol

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here