Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification Help For the Beetle!

Posted by ssistla 8B (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 19:42

Hi, I noticed these shiny small beetles in and near my flower bed. I was wondering if I can get some help identifying them and what to do. Image attached

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification Help For the Beetle!

Are you able to get a closer image of one of the beetles without it being too blurry by any chance? It's hard to tell if it's glare off of them, or if that's their colors.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/60

That website is very helpful for identifying some types, so if you can get a closer look at these, you may also be able to spot it in on that page as well. Let me know if it helps.

o

Thank you. I will try to get a closeup picture. It's glare off of them. They are shiny black through out

o

What's your location?

o

we dont kill things.. just because they appear ... so great job on looking for an ID..

but i have found getting pix of tiny things is hard w/o a very good camera..

regardless.. what if any damage are you seeing?? ... damage is usually the key to needing a reaction ...

and if they are in the lawn.. consider an application of your swamper.. who cares what they are.. lol ... [aka spring boot] ... rather than deferring to chemicals ... very organic .. lol ...

ken

o

ssis, since these beetles are so small that taking a good picture of them might be difficult, the best idea might be for you to gather up a few, put them in a container of some sort, and take them on a little trip to your local extension office.

The staff might not know what they are (that depends upon the people), but they can sure find out for you. By the way, it's a good idea to use something made of glass or heavy plastic to transport unknowns just in case they happen to have chewing mouthparts that might make short work of a paper or plastic bag.

I've had people bring me things that ended up 'at large ' in my office. Not good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here